Saturday, July 16, 2011

Peaches and Dream Pie-Leave Your Link

Hi Everyone !  Thanks for setting up the Facebook Page-I didn't expect to be away from blogging for so long but you all know how complicated life can be.   I apologize for missing the July 3rd Blackberry Pie Leave Your Link-I'll blame it on the bronchitis and icky icky virus !  Health is good now,still on my personal blog break but will continue to post the leave your link here for my favorite Baked Bakers !

Sunday's Pie is Peaches and Dream based on the Matt's revision of a recipe that had been floating around Florida in his early years !

Ingredients
1 ball Classic Pie Dough (page 58 yields enough for 2 single crust 9" pies or one double crust)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour,sugar and salt together.  In  a measuring cup,stir 3/4 cup water with several ice cubes until it is very cold

Cut the cold butter into cubes and toss them in the flour mixture to coat.  Put the mixture in the bowl of a food processor and pulse in short bursts until the butter pieces are the size of hazelnuts.

Pulsing in 4 second bursts, slowly drizzle the ice water into the food processor through the feed tube.

As soon as the dough comes together in a ball, stop adding water.  Remove the dough from the food processor and divide it in half.   Flatten each piece into a disk and wrap each disk first in parchment paper and then in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 1 hour.  (The dough can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3months.  Thaw it in the refrigerator before proceeding with your recipe).

For the Peaches and Dream Filling
10 canned peach halves, or about 2 1/2 cups fresh diced,peeled peaches
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour

For the Pie Topping
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter,cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Make the Crust
Dust a work surface with a sprinkling of flour.  Roll the dough ball out into a 12 inch round.  Transfer the dough to a pie dish and carefully work it into place, folding any overhang under and crimping the edge as you go.  Cover the crust in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Make the Peaches and Dream Filling
Arrange the peach halves cut side up on the bottom of the pie shell or spread the diced fresh peaches in the pie shell.  In a medium bowl,whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and honey until they just come together.  Sprinkle the mixture with the salt, brown sugar, and flour, and whisk until just combined. Pour the mixture over the peaches.

Make the Pie Topping
Place the sugar, flour, and butter in a bowl. Use your hand to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mix looks like coarse sand.  Assemble the pie.  Sprinkle the pie topping across the filling, and bake for 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly (place a sheet pan on the oven rack directly below the pie to catch any filling that bubbles over ).  Let the pie cool overnight before serving.

BAKED NOTESAt least 90 percent of the peaches and cream recipes that crossed Matt and Renato's path specified the use of canned peaches.  Perhaps they were written in an era when fresh peaches were difficult to locate, or perhaps the sugar content of a canned peach was an added plus, but they tested fresh peaches in place of their canned counterparts in several recipes without any problems.

So support your local farmer and but fresh !


PS If I missed adding you to the blog roll send me a reminder and I will take care of it-again thanks to all of you for your patience and support and the fabulous job you all do !

14 comments:

  1. So happy you're back! You were missed. Should we keep the Facebook page open as a place to chat/alternative way to keep in touch? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baked-Sunday-Mornings/201013669947370

    My pie is cooling. I can't wait to dig in and will post again tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how much I missed having all the links here on this site last time around...all this cyber baking is addictive. I love to see what you all do. And, since I've never baked this variety of peach pie, I'm interested to see what it should really look like. Mine was good but could have been better with a photo to show me what the outcome should be...so I'm excited to see yours.

    http://misskriskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-mornings-peaches-dream-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Back, Sandy!

    I also had no idea what this pie was supposed to look like or taste like... I am just not having much luck with the Baked Explorations pies!

    http://ipso-fatto.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-mornings-peaches-and-dream.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine turned out looking like a lot of the others so far. It kind of reminded me of Momofuku's Crack Pie. But with peaches. I'm not a huge pie person, but I didn't hate this. It's definitely very different.

    http://www.porkcracklins.net/2011/07/peaches-dream-pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Sandy! I hope you're feeling better.

    I really wanted to like this pie!

    http://www.createamazingmeals.com/2011/07/peaches-and-dream-pie-baked-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're back Sandy! :)

    I'm surprised that I got around to making this one, and I'm glad I did. I really liked it :) Can't wait to see what yours look like!

    http://bourbonnatrixbakes.blogspot.com/2011/07/peaches-and-dream-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sandy! I am so sorry to hear that you have been sick, but I am glad that you are feeling much better!

    This was such a different peach pie recipe, but we all loved it!

    http://ecalifornialiving.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-morning-peaches-and-dream.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also was dying to see a photo before I made the pie! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pies today! I'd love to be added to the blog roll! I'll try to figure out how to send you a note about it!

    http://makingmichaelpollanproud.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-mornings-roasted-peach-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. My pie was a hit with everybody! It was definitely different, but that's what we liked about it.

    http://yoshimivsmotherhood.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-mornings-peaches-and-dream.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear Peach Pie cures everything. Glad you're back!

    http://goodlivingoutwest.blogspot.com/2011/07/peaches-dreams-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://dabblinginthedelicious.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-sunday-mornings-peaches-and-dream.html

    mine was kind of a flop, but still tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMEEEH! My pretty, little teenage baking blog on http://teenage-baking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous pie. Nice creamy caramel flavours go great with the fresh peaches. I left off the crumble topping and brushed the top of the pie with peach glaze. Looked terrific. Tasted even better.

    ReplyDelete